AI - Returning to Socrates


There is a quote usually attributed to Socrates which says, "I only know that I know nothing", but according to Plato that’s not exactly what he said. There's a passage in the Apology where Socrates is telling the Athenians about a conversation he had with a man who was considered wise by many and especially by himself, where he demonstrated that the man was not wise at all, and he says “I reckoned as I was going that I am wiser than this man, for it is likely that neither of us knows anything noble and good, but he thinks he knows something, when he does not know, while I do not actually know. I do not even think that I know (…) I do not think I know what I do not know.

The Apology is a classic in philosophy, a masterpiece of philosophical literature! In another passage Socrates says that “For a human being an unexamined life is not worth living”. This quote has been a subject of philosophical inquiry and ethical considerations for a long time, and recently there is ongoing debates about its applicability and implications to AI, and the so called artificial consciousness, whether they deserve moral consideration, if they should have rights, and all the ethical ramifications that it might bring.

Socrates believed that human wisdom begins with the recognition of one's own ignorance. AI is allowing us the wonderful opportunity to live by Socrates belief when we ask AI trivial questions, such as "give me a summary of the book X", or yet "write an article about Y in the style of the writer Z". We are, indirectly, recognising our own ignorance!